Christmas Ribbon Bars
This raspberry jam-filled cookie bar is an easy but elegant holiday treat.
1/2 pound butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 2/3 cup raspberry or strawberry jam, apricot preserves or marmalade
2/3 cup natural California pistachios, chopped
- Combine butter, sugar and egg; beat until thoroughly blended. Stir in flour and salt.
- Spread one-half of dough into 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 10 minutes; remove from oven. Spread jam to within 1/2-inch of edge.
- Add pistachios to remaining dough. Drop by spoonfuls over jam to cover.
- Bake 35 minutes until top is golden brown; cool. Cut into squares.
Makes 16 bars.
Serving Tip: For a special dessert serve warm 3-inch square bars topped with whipped cream and additional chopped pistachios.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the California Pistachio Commission.