Classic congo bars, a 'blondie' with chocolate chips and pecans.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease with shortening a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Add chopped nuts and chocolate, and mix to combine.
- Place the dough in the prepared baking dish, spread dough evenly.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove to rack to cool slightly before cutting, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 18 (2 1/4 x 3-inch) bars. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 18 bars.