Crispy rice or wheat square cereal is mixed with butterscotch or peanut butter flavored chips, coconut, pecans and sweetened condensed milk to make these crunchy bars.
5 cups bite-size crispy rice or wheat square cereal - divided use
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup butterscotch or peanut butter flavored chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Coarsely crush 3 cups cereal.
- In 13x9x2-inch baking pan, melt butter in oven.
- Sprinkle crushed cereal over melted butter; top evenly with chips, coconut, sweetened condensed milk, nuts and 2 cups uncrushed cereal. Press down firmly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly.
- Cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 bars.