Dried Cherry Chocolate Biscotti
Enjoy these cherry studded chocolate biscotti with a hot cup of coffee, latte, mocha or fragrant tea.
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup unblanched whole almonds
1 cup dried cherries
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the almonds and cherries.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, mixing well.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough 3 or 4 times. Shape the dough into a log, about 12-inches long and 4-inches wide. Place the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet* and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the loaf diagonally into 1/4-inch slices. Place the slices on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for an additional 12 to 14 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dip half of each biscotti in the melted chocolate and place back on the parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate sets.
Makes 48 biscotti.
*Save yourself unnecessary expense by reusing the parchment lining, you will need it twice more during the preparation of the recipe.