Flaky Apple Squares
Cinnamon-sugared apple slices and crushed corn flakes are baked between two layers of pastry crust.
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup corn flakes, crushed
8 tart green apples, thinly sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut shortening into flour and 1 teaspoon salt until crumbs form. Add egg yolks and milk; mix well.
- Roll out half the dough and place in a jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with
crushed corn flakes.
- In a bowl, thinly slice 8 apples and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place on top of the cornflake crust.
- Roll out the other half of the crust and put over the apples. Seal the edges and cut vent slits in the dough.
- Beat 2 egg whites until frothy and spread over the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Makes 16 servings.