Fudgy Zucchini Brownies
Got zucchini, a garden full of zucchini, that is? Here's a recipe that makes tasty use of the courgette -- brownies!
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup margarine, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large egg whites - divided use
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup rice bran
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- Combine sugar and margarine in large bowl; beat in electric mixer at medium speed until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons water, vanilla, 2 egg whites, beat at low speed until well blended.
- Combine flour, rice bran, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; add to sugar mixture, stirring just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.
- Beat remaining egg whites (at room temperature) in small bowl of electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter in 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 16 brownies.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.