Half & Half Bars
There are two sides to this yummy cookie bar, a crisp buttery crust and a creamy chocolate filling.
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 teaspoon almond extract - divided use
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan, combine chocolate chips, cream cheese, and sweetened condensed milk. Melt over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat then stir in chopped walnuts and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; blend well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, softened butter, egg, and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Mix until crumbly.
- Press half the crust mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch baking pan. Spread the chocolate filling over crust then sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over filling. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 16 bars.