Holiday Pecan Oat Bars
Festive cookie bars with an oat-laden crust and a pecan pie-like filling.
Oat Cookie Crust:
1 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups small pecan halves (about 12 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine all ingredients for crust, mixing well. Press oat mixture in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake crust 16 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown (center of crust should feel firm when lightly touched). Cool on wire rack while making filling.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, heat butter with corn syrup until butter is melted. Add sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a full boil. Boil 2 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat; stir in cream and vanilla. Stir in pecans. Pour over baked crust; using two forks, spread evenly to edges.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Loosen bars from sides of pan with spatula. Invert onto cookie sheet; tap pan until bars release. Place cutting board on top of bars; turn right side up. Use large sharp knife to cut into squares. Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze.
Makes 24 bars.