A favorite Australian treat, Lamingtons are rectangle-shaped sponge cake bars, frosted on all sides with chocolate icing and coated with sweetened shredded coconut.
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs (beaten)
2 cups self-rising flour*
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded (desiccated) or flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch pan and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, gradually add the eggs and mix well. Add 1/3 cup of flour at a time, stirring gently and thoroughly after each addition.
- Place batter in pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, decreasing the temperature to 325°F (160°C) after 30 minutes. Place on a rack to cool.
- For Icing: Sift powdered sugar into a bowl, add boiling water and vanilla to baking cocoa and stir into powdered sugar, beat well.
- Cut cooled cake into 24 rectangular-shaped bars and ice on all sides. This is best done using a pair of tongs and dipping the cake into the icing mixture, then roll the iced cake in the coconut, coating well. Allow to dry on a rack.
Makes 24 bars.
*Or substitute with 2 cups all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.