Layered Chocolate Pecan Bars
Festive, layered chocolate pecan bars with a hint of cinnamon.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or rum flavoring
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
16 pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, combine butter, brown sugar, pecans, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to butter mixture; beat until a smooth ball forms.
- Knead lightly and press into a 9-inch square baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in small saucepan, bring cream to full boil. Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl and pour hot cream, all at once, over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken at room temperature, whisking occasionally.
- When cake is cool, invert to remove and carefully place on cutting board. Spread chocolate generously over top and cut into squares. Press a pecan half in the center of each and refrigerate to set.
Makes 16 bars.