This lattice-topped treat is a cookie bar version on the linzer torte, a classic Austrian holiday dessert.
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup ground or finely chopped walnuts
1 cup raspberry or apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg, lemon peel, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
- Blend in flour and walnuts. Set aside about 1/4 of the dough for lattice top.
- Pat remaining dough into bottom and about 1/2-inch up sides of pan. Spread with jam.
- Make pencil-shaped strips of remaining dough, rolling against a lightly floured surface with palms of hands.
- Arrange in lattice pattern over top, pressing ends against dough on sides.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Makes 24 bars.