Marty's Toffee Bars
Marty's marvelous toffee cookie bars with an easy chocolate and nut topping.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add flour, egg yolk and vanilla. Stir until thoroughly combined. Spread in an ungreased 9-inch square pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are beginning to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes, or until chocolate chips are softened.
- Gently spread chocolate over bars. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Makes 16 bars.