Fruit and Nut Bars
Loaded with dried fruits and pecans, these cookie bars are topped with an easy marshmallow and chocolate frosting.
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried apricot
1/2 cup chopped pitted prunes
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons marshmallow creme
2 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cream softened butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; blend well. Add the mixture of flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; mix well.
- Stir in golden raisins, chopped dried apricots, chopped pitted prunes, chopped pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Spread in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until light brown. Cool in the pan.
- Dissolve sugar in 3 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat, then stir in chocolate chips; stir until melted. Blend in marshmallow creme. Stir in up to 2 tablespoons hot water, one teaspoon at a time, until of spreading consistency. Spread over the brownie layer and let stand until set before cutting into bars.
Makes 24 bars.