Mixed-Fruit Crumb Bars
Oat crumb cookie bars loaded with dried fruits and nuts.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chopped dried apricot
3/4 cup dried mixed fruit
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
3/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, quick cooking oatmeal (uncooked), brown sugar, and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture, adding chopped nuts and set aside. Press the remainder into the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch square pan.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in apricots, dried mixed fruit, orange peel, and orange juice. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly, then spread over the crumb layer.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumb/nut mixture on top and press in lightly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Cool in the pan before cutting into bars.
Makes 12 bars.