Applesauce takes the place of the fat in this low-fat chocolate brownie recipe.
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 squares (3-ounces) unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
4 large egg whites or 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°). Lightly spray bottom only of 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large saucepan, heat oil and chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Stir in granulated sugar and applesauce until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in egg whites and vanilla until completely blended.
- Add combined oats, flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Spread evenly into pan.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
Makes 24 brownies.
Nutritional Informational Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories 110, Calories From Fat 30, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 25mg, Total Carbohydrates 19g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 2g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.