Oatmeal Fruit Bars
These prune-laden oatmeal bars make excellent breakfast bars, as well as a great snack bar any time of the day.
3 cups pitted prunes - divided use
3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a food processor, combine 1 cup pitted prunes, water, and orange juice; process until smooth. Combine 1/4 cup of the purée in a saucepan with 2 cups chopped pitted prunes. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until thick.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, powdered milk, oats in a large mixer bowl. Add the reserved prune purée and eggs. Mix on low speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Press half into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Spread the cooked filling on top and top with the remaining flour mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting.
Makes 24 bars.