Old-Fashioned Fruit Bars
Chock-full of luscious fruit and nuts these treats have just a touch of brandy and vanilla to enrich the flavor.
1 cup hot water
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup dried fruit
2 tablespoons brandy
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon - divided use
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup nuts, chopped
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- In a bowl combine hot water, raisins, dried fruits and brandy or orange juice; set aside to soak.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray or cover with parchment paper.
- In another bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, mix together the 3/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon (reserve 1 teaspoon) and baking soda; mix well.
- Drain fruit thoroughly and add to batter with chopped nuts.
- Moisten your hands and form the dough into two long rolls on the cookie sheet. Mix 1/4 cup sugar with remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle tops of logs generously with mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes then slice the logs into 1/2-inch wide bars. Return cookie sheet to oven and bake 5 additional minutes. Turn off the heat and allow cookies to remain in the oven for several hours.
Makes 36 bars.
Note: These bars must cool gradually in the oven for 3 hours after baking.