Making these tender, chocolate-drizzled diamond-shaped cookies is easy and fun...eating them is even easier, and more fun!
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter and shortening in a large bowl until fluffy. Stir in half of the flour, brown sugar, egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Beat until thoroughly combined then stir in remaining flour and pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 1 1/2-inch diamonds. Place on an ungreased baking sheet 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool for 1 minute before transferring to wire racks.
- In a saucepan or in the microwave, melt chocolate chips. Stir until smooth and drizzle over cookies.
Makes 36 diamonds.