Pineapple Dream Bars
These pineapple cookie bars have a brown sugar shortbread crust topped with a spiced custard filling with pineapple, coconut, maraschino cherries and walnuts.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed - divided use
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1 (8.25-ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup or juice
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Blend in 1 cup flour until mixture is crumbly. Pat onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly.
- Drain pineapple well, pressing out excess liquid with back of spoon.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with remaining 2/3 cup brown sugar until thick.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir dry ingredients and rum extract into egg mixture.
- Fold in pineapple, coconut, nuts and cherries. Spread over baked crust.
- Bake 30 minutes longer or until set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Makes 24 bars.