Raspberry Meringue Bars
A rich crust made with almond paste is topped with red raspberry preserves and a delightful meringue sprinkled with coconut.
1 cup butter, softened
7 ounces almond paste
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam
3 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 13x9x2-inch pan with greased aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, almond paste, and brown sugar. Beat in one egg and the almond extract. Stir in the flour and mix until well blended. Press into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Spread the raspberry preserves over the warm crust.
- To prepare the meringue topping, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar until peaks become stiff. Spread the meringue mixture over jam and sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake for additional 20 to 25 minutes until firm. Let cool on wire racks. Lift foil from pan and cut bars with a sharp knife.
Makes 24 bars.