A good basic recipe for the classic fruit and oat-crumb cookie bars. Try other jam flavors.
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 (10-ounce) jar raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir into the creamed mixture. When well-mixed stir in quick cooking oatmeal (uncooked).
- Press half the mixture into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Spread raspberry jam on top and cover with the remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool before cutting into bars.
Makes 24 bars.