Sour Cream Brownies
Moist, tender and chewy cocoa brownies with a creamy chocolate frosting.
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups butter - divided use
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder - divided use
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
2 large eggs
4 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons milk
1 cup chopped nuts
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, 1 cup of the butter and 3 tablespoons of the cocoa powder. Cook and stir until boiling. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream and eggs. Beat well. Add hot cocoa mixture; beat well. Add the flour mixture to sour cream mixture; beat until smooth. Pour batter into a greased 15x10 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.
- In small mixing bowl, beat remaining 1/2 cup butter for 30 seconds. Stir together powdered sugar and remaining 3 tablespoons cocoa powder. Add powdered sugar mixture alternately with milk to butter, beating well after each addition. Spread over cooled bars. Sprinkle chopped nuts over frosting. Cut into bars.
Makes 48 brownies.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.