Southern Harvest Bars
These festive spiced sweet potato dessert bars, studded wth chopped dates and dusted with powdered sugar make enough for a crowd and are a favorite treat at potlucks and get-togethers.
2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups chopped dates
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup powdered sugar
- In mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in sweet potatoes mixing well. Stir in dates.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices. Stir into creamed mixture. Add nuts.
- Turn batter into greased and floured 10 x 15-inch jelly roll pan. If batter is difficult to spread, use a moistened spatula.
- Bake in preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. Cool.
- Cut into bars. Dust top with sifted powdered sugar.
Makes 48 bars.
Variation: 1 1/2 cups mincemeat or raisins may be substituted for dates and 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts may be used instead of almonds.
Recipe provided courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.