Spicy Walnut Bars
Delight your taste buds with these spicy layer cookies. A rich crust coats the bottom while a sugary-sweet walnut and cinnamon topping melts over the top.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter or margarine, chilled
2 large eggs
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, oatmeal, first addition of brown sugar and baking soda. Cut in chilled butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into bottom of an ungreased 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium bowl, blend eggs, second addition of brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and cloves. Stir in walnuts and melted butter. Pour on top of hot crust, spreading evenly.
- Bake again for 20 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Makes 16 bars.