Sweet Cherry Bars
Fresh, sweet cherries are baked inside the center of these chewy cookie bars garnished with sliced almonds.
1 1/2 cups (12-ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups pitted and halved fresh sweet cherries (or use frozen which have been slightly thawed)
1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Put butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended. Add eggs, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Grease the sides and bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add to butter mixture; beat 3 to 4 minutes, or until smooth batter forms.
- Spread half the batter in prepared pan. Scatter cherry halves over batter. Place spoonfuls of remaining batter on top of cherries; gently spread to cover fruit. Sprinkle almonds on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle comes out clean.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.