Sweet Potato Pie Bars
Wait until you taste this yummy sweet potato pie disguised as an incredible bar cookie. The fabulous sweet potato pie filling with a cinnamon crumbly topping is easily cut into squares and watch them disappear.
1 (18.25-ounce) yellow cake mix - divided use
6 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted - divided use
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon - divided use
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Set aside 1 cup yellow cake mix.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together remaining cake mix, 4 tablespoons melted margarine, and egg; mix well. Pat mixture into the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine sweet potatoes, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, sugar, egg whites, and evaporated milk until creamy. Pour filling over prepared crust.
- Mix reserved 1 cup cake mix, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, remaining 2 tablespoons melted margarine, brown sugar, and pecans and sprinkle over filling.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is set.
Makes 24 bars.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.