A symphony for both the eyes and taste buds, half the batter is flavored with vanilla, and half with chocolate, layered one on top of the other, to create these incredible cookie bars topped with a creamy vanilla frosting.
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups walnuts or pecans, chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
Red and green maraschino or candied cherries for garnish
Vanilla Butter Frosting:
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and salt. Gradually add flour; beat just until smooth. Mix in nuts. Spread half the batter into a lightly buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Add chocolate to remaining batter; combine. Top vanilla layer with chocolate batter. Do not mix the two layers.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Frost with Vanilla Butter Frosting. Cut bars. Top each bar with cherries, if desired, alternating red and green.
- For Vanilla Butter Frosting: In a 1 quart saucepan, combine flour and milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Gradually add flour-milk mixture; beat at high speed for 5 minutes, or until frosting becomes creamy and smooth. Spread on bars.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.