These turtle brownies have a creamy caramel-pecan center that is sprinkled with chocolate chips and sandwiched between two layers of chewy, chocolate brownie.
4 large eggs
4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (14 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 cups pecans - divided use
1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- Microwave chocolate squares and margarine on high for about 2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir sugar into chocolate, mix in eggs, and then stir in flour.
- Spread 1/2 of batter in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25 minutes, or until batter is firm to the touch.
- Microwave caramels and cream in bowl on high 3 minutes, or until caramels begin to melt. Whisk until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of pecans. Gently spread caramel mixture over pre-baked brownie in pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Pour remaining unbaked brownie batter evenly over caramel mixture and sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes. Cool in pan and run knife along edge of pan to loosen brownies out.
Makes 24 brownies.
Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.