Wal-'Nutty' Chocolate Brownies
Chewy, fudgy chocolate brownies, loaded with chopped walnuts and dates, and topped with a creamy chocolate glaze.
3 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped California Walnuts - divided use
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- In large glass bowl, heat chocolate and butter over a pot of boiling water (or in microwave on High for 2 minutes) until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely smooth; mix in sugar. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- In small bowl, combine flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture. Mix in walnuts and dates.
- Spread in greased 8-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) 35 to 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in center of brownies comes out nearly clean.
- Let cool in pan on rack. Frost with Chocolate Glaze.
Makes 12 brownies.
Chocolate Glaze: Combine 1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking chocolate, melted with 1 tablespoon butter and 1/4 cup milk. Blend until smooth. Add 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar; stir until combined. Spread over cooled brownies and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Walnuts.