Walnut Berry Bars
These are an easy, fun treat kids can make to share with family and friends. The cranberries and walnuts add texture and color, and the chocolate chip frosting adds chocolate yumminess. Recipe submitted by Rosemary Mark.
20 large marshmallows
1 tablespoon butter, plus butter for pan
2 cups California walnuts, halves and pieces
2 cups crispy rice cereal
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Walnut halves for garnish
- Lightly butter bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- Place marshmallows and butter in mixing bowl. Heat on HIGH power 1 to 2 minutes until marshmallows are puffy and softened.
- Stir cereal, walnuts and cranberries into marshmallows. Mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Rub a little butter onto fingers and press mixture evenly into pan.
- Make the chocolate frosting by placing chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on HIGH power 1 to 2 minutes until chips are softened, not melted (watch carefully, chocolate will burn quickly in the microwave). Stir until chips are smooth and melted. Spread on top of bars.
- Press walnut halves on chocolate, placing in even 4x4 rows. Cool. Cut into 16 squares so there is one walnut half on each square.
Makes 16 bars.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Walnuts.