Walnut Raspberry Brownies
Chocolate brownies topped with raspberry jam and drizzled with chocolate glaze.
4 (1-ounce each) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1/3 cup raspberry jam
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease an 8-inch square pan; set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler over warm water, melt 3 squares baking chocolate with shortening. Cool slightly.
- In a bowl beat eggs, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and salt. Stir in the chocolate mixture and flour. Beat till thoroughly combined. Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately spoon raspberry jam over the hot brownies. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For Chocolate Glaze: Melt 1 square baking chocolate; blend in butter and light corn syrup. Stir in powdered sugar, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat till thoroughly combined.
- Drizzle glaze on top of cooled brownies. Cut into bars.
Makes 24 brownies.