Whole Grain Banana Fruit 'N Nut Bars
These wholesome tasty bars make perfect treats for school lunches or snacks anytime of the day.
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margerine
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 small bananas)
1 1/2 cups Quaker oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
2/3 cup chopped pitted dates or golden raisins
2/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly spray 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat light butter and brown sugar with electric mixer until well blended. Add egg and bananas; mix well. (Mixture will look curdled.) Add flour mixture; beat on low just until well blended. Stir in oats, dates and walnuts. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until edges are golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered at room temperature up to 2 days or place in airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. Defrost uncovered at room temperature.
Makes 24 bars.
- To save time, purchase walnuts and dates already chopped.
- Other dried fruits may be substituted for dates.
- Toasted pecans, almonds or hazelnuts may be substituted for walnuts.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.