Zebra Espresso Bars
Espresso-flavored, chocolate cookie bars with a cheesecake filling swirled throughout.
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
3 large eggs - divided use
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 cup all-purpose flour - divided use
3/4 cup butter, cut in small pieces - divided use
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup strong hot espresso
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C ). Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons each flour and butter, and espresso powder. With an electric mixer at medium speed, beat until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, sift remaining sugar and flour with cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir remaining butter into hot coffee. Add to dry ingredients and stir to blend. Beat in remaining 2 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Spread chocolate batter evenly in prepared pan. Spoon cheese mixture, in several separate pools, over chocolate batter, spacing evenly. Run knife through batters to marbleize.
- Bake about 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack, then cut into 3 x 1 1/2-inch bars. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 16 bars.