Ancho Chili-Rubbed Beef Roast
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (3 to 4 pound) beef round tip roast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- For Rub: Combine rub ingredients; reserve 2 tablespoons for potatoes. Press remaining rub onto beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 3/4 to 2 hours for medium rare; 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours for medium. (Do not overcook.)
- Meanwhile mix reserved rub and oil; toss with potatoes. Roast in greased baking pan, covered, 1 hour. Stir potatoes; roast, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 140°F (60°C) for medium rare; 155°F (65.5°C) for medium. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will rise to 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast; season with salt. Serve with potatoes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.