Bacon and Herb Topped Beef Roast
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 to 4 pounds beef top loin petite roast
4 slices smoked bacon - divided use
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon - divided use
4 cloves garlic, minced - divided use
1 pound carrots, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch slices
1 pound parsnips, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch slices
Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Coarsely chop 3 slices bacon. Combine bacon, 1 tablespoon tarragon and 3 cloves garlic; press evenly onto all sides of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat to side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 to 1 1/4 hours for medium rare; 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, chop remaining slice bacon. Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet 3 to 5 minutes or until bacon is browned and crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with slotted spoon to paper to towel to lined plate, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add carrots, parsnips, 3/4 cup water and remaining clove garlic to same skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and continue cooking 2 to 4 minutes or until water has evaporated and vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. season with salt and pepper, as desired. Keep warm; set aside.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Sprinkle vegetables with reserved bacon and remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon. Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with vegetables.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe; 3 ounces): Calories: 226; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 72mg; Total Carbs: 11g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 26g; Sodium: 92mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.