Baked Brisket Au Jus
Beef brisket roasted long and slow with onion, celery, tomato paste/sauce, Worcestershire sauce and brewed coffee.
1 (5-pound) beef brisket
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, sliced
4 celery ribs
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup brewed coffee
- Place brisket, fat side up, in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with onion and celery.
- Stir together tomato paste, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef.
- Bake brisket uncovered at 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour. Cover and bake 2 more hours, basting with pan juices occasionally. Add coffee; cover and bake 2 more hours, checking every 30 minutes for dryness. Add 1/4 cup water, if necessary.
- Remove brisket from pan; let stand 20 minutes. Cut brisket across grain into thin slices using a sharp knife.
- Strain pan drippings, and serve with sliced brisket.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.