Baked Steak and Lima Beans
Lima beans, onion and fork-tender round steak in a sweet and savory sauce served topped with crisp crumbled bacon.
1 pound dry lima beans, rinsed and sorted
6 cups water
1/4 pound sliced bacon
2 pounds sliced round steak
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 onion, sliced
1 (18-ounce) bottle tomato juice
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a stockpot, combine beans with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Do not drain. After 1 hour, return to heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large oven-proof pot cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, drain on paper towel, crumble, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Coat steak with flour. Brown beef in the bacon drippings, about 8 minutes. Pour off any excess grease. Stir in beans and onion.
- Combine tomato juice, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over beans and beef mixture.
- Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender. Serve with bacon sprinkled on top.
Makes 8 servings.