Barbacoa De Res (Shredded Beef Tacos)
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 large onions, finely chopped
5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
4 jalapeño peppers, seeded, cut into strips
2 tablespoons white vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano leaves
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 beef chuck shoulder pot roast (4 to 5 pounds)
12 (6-inch) tortillas for accompaniment
Optional Toppings: Chopped onions, chopped fresh cilantro, salsa, guacamole, lime wedges
- Prepare Marinade: Combine ingredients in large bowl. Add beef pot roast; turn to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Remove pot roast from marinade; reserve marinade. Place pot roast in stockpot. Pour marinade over pot roast; cover tightly.
- Braise in 325°F (160°C) oven 4 to 1/2 to 5 hour or until pot roast is fork to tender.
- Remove pot roast; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid into medium saucepan; skim fat from cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 3 cup
- Shred pot roast with 2 forks; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until heated through. season with salt and pepper and garnish with Toppings, as desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 186; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 24g; Sodium: 391mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.