Barbecued Beef Roast
Beef rump roast, baked long and slow in a savory barbecue sauce until it is fall-apart-tender.
5 pounds rump roast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup water
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons chopped onions
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup butter
1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- Rub rump roast with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Place the roast in a roasting pan; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine water, chopped tomato, vinegar, ketchup, chopped onion, crushed garlic, sliced celery, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in butter and prepared barbecue sauce.
- Pour half the sauce over the roast.
- Bake uncovered at 300°F (150°C) for 3 hours, basting frequently with the remaining sauce.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before thinly slicing the roast. Serve sliced roast with the remaining sauce.
Makes 14 servings.