Barbecued Beef Roll
A round steak beef roll filled with cheddar cheese, corn, green bell pepper and black olives in a barbecue sauce.
3/4 cup tomato ketchup
1/3 cup bottled chili sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons steak sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 1/2 pounds round steak
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Prepare sauce by combining ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, steak sauce, cumin, and chili powder in a small saucepan; cook slowly for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle boneless round steak with salt and pepper. Pound to 1/4-inch thick with a mallet. Brush the top with prepared barbecue sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, corn, chopped green bell pepper, and sliced black olives. Roll the steak tightly and tie with string.
- Dip the roll in flour and brown in oil.
- Cover pan and cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking pour the sauce over the meat.
Makes 8 servings.