Beef Brisket with Apricots, Prunes and Sweet Potatoes
Beef brisket cooked until tender with onions, apricots, prunes and sweet potatoes.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large onions, sliced
1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) beef brisket
2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1/2 cup dried prunes
1/4 cup dried apricot halves
- In a large Dutch oven or cooking pot, cook onions over low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden. Remove onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Brown the brisket well on all sides in the same pot.
- Return onions and their drippings to the pot; add the water, salt and pepper. Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the brisket is almost tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes, prunes, and apricot halves. Cover pot and continue cooking until the sweet potatoes are tender, abut 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove brisket from the pot and slice it thinly across the grain. Transfer the sliced meat to a large, shallow casserole dish with the slices overlapping one another. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the fruits and potatoes from the pot and layer over the brisket.
- Skim fat from sauce in pot and transfer to a blender and purée until smooth. Pour sauce over the meat, cover the casserole dish, and refrigerate overnight.
- To reheat the brisket, remove from refrigerator and bring it to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place covered casserole dish in over and heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.