Beef Strips with Vermicelli
Stir-fry Italian-style - Thin, bite-sized strips of beef quickly stir-fried and cooked in a fennel-seasoned tomato sauce with green beans and mushrooms served over vermicelli and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Dinner's ready in 20 minutes!
8 ounces boneless beef top round steak
8 ounces dry vermicelli or spaghetti
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato wedges
1 (9-ounce) package frozen Italian-style green beans or cut green beans
1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
3 tablespoons tomato paste (1/2 of a 6-ounce can)
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
Salt and Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for accompaniment (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Thinly slice meat across the grain into bite-size strips. (Partially freezing the meat will make it easier to slice.)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and onion. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until meat is brown.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, green beans, mushrooms, tomato paste, basil, fennel seed, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. simmer, uncovered, for 7 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in the 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange pasta on individual plates or a large platter. Spoon the sauce over pasta. Pass the Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on individual servings, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.