Beef Brisket with Savory Carrots & Prunes
Serve beef brisket, carved diagonally again the grain, with savory carrots, prunes and sauce.
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pound boneless beef brisket
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cups sliced carrots (1/4-inch)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces pitted prunes
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown beef brisket; remove. Pour off drippings.
- Add onion to Dutch oven; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add 1/2 cup water. Return brisket; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 1/4 hours.
- Add carrots, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and pepper; continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until brisket is fork-tender. Remove brisket and carrots; keep warm.
- Add prunes to Dutch oven; cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1 cup and prunes are plumped.
- Trim fat from brisket; carve diagonally across the grain. Serve with carrots, prunes and sauce.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.