A classic Hungarian comfort food, serve this creamy and satisfying beef stew over noodles.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound round steak, cubed
3 medium onions, chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cups hot water
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 (8-ounce) package noodles
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add steak and brown well, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in onions and cook until soft. Sprinkle with paprika, salt, garlic powder, pepper and sugar, blend thoroughly. Pour in hot water; cover, and simmer gently for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Blend flour with cold water until smooth. Stir into the meat mixture, and cook until the sauce is thick. Remove from the heat and stir in cream.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Serve beef goulash over prepared noodles.
Makes 4 servings.