Recipe courtesy of Certified Angus Beef LLC.
1 1/2 pounds Certified Angus Beef® chuck blade roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup lightly salted, roasted cashews
1 1/3 cups water
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cardamom seeds
1 cinnamon stick
2 green chiles, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
Salt, to taste
3 whole cloves
3 ounces heavy cream
3 ounces yogurt
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- Blend nuts, ginger, garlic and chilies into a coarse paste with 1/3 cup water; set aside.
- In a saucepan, warm milk and soak saffron 10 minutes; set aside.
- Combine spices.
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet and fry spices 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat. Strain oil and spices through cheesecloth. Return oil to pan and tie spices in cheesecloth.
- Fry onion in oil until golden. Add nut paste, yogurt and spice bag. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Add beef and 1 cup water. Simmer 1 hour; remove spice bag.
- Just before serving, squeeze saffron strands through cheesecloth into the milk for optimum color.
- Add saffron milk, cream and cilantro to braised dish. Return to simmer. Finish with fresh lemon juice and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 641; Total Fat: 41g; Saturated Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 170mg; Total Carbs: 23g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 41g; Sodium: 439mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Certified Angus Beef LLC.