Beef Rib Roast with Browned Vegetables
An elegant, yet easy-to-do, beef rib roast served with pre-cooked vegetables that are browned in the pan drippings.
1 beef rib roast, small end, chine (back) bone removed (6 to 8 pounds)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
8 small red-skinned potatoes, pre-cooked
8 boiling onions, pre-cooked
8 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces, pre-cooked
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine garlic and lemon pepper; press onto beef roast.
- Place roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 350°F (175°C) oven 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours for medium rare; 2 3/4 to 3 hours for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will rise to 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pan. Add vegetables; cook and stir over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Carve roast; season with salt. Serve with vegetables.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.