Beef Roast with Green Beans & Caramelized Onions
An elegant roast beef dinner, a beef round tip is roasted to perfection and served with an easy-to-make gravy and a delicious side of green beans with caramelized onions and bacon. Serve with mashed potatoes.
1 (4 pound) beef round tip roast
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 (12-ounce) jar beef gravy
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Green Beans & Carmelized Onions:
4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 (16-ounce) package frozen green beans, cooked, warm
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine garlic and pepper; press onto beef roast. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 2 hours for medium rare; 2 1/2 hours for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 140°F (60°C) for medium rare; 155°F (65°C) for medium. Tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 5°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Remove rack from pan; stir in gravy, Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup water. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly. Carve roast. Serve with sauce and vegetables.
- For Green Beans & Caramelized Onions: Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp; remove bacon. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add onions; cook over medium-low heat 35 to 40 minutes or until very soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Add beans and bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.