Beef rolls, filled with a savory bread crumb stuffing, are browned in butter and simmered until tender in a savory onion, red wine and mushroom sauce. Serve over a bed of hot buttered noodles.
3 pounds boneless bottom round roast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup butter
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed onion soup, undiluted
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup sliced mushooms
1 (16-ounce) package noodles
1/4 cup butter, softened
- Slice a boneless bottom round roast into 1/4-inch thin slices across the grain. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet and add soft bread crumbs and garlic; saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chopped parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Divide evenly and spoon onto the beef slices; roll each piece jelly roll fashion and secure with toothpicks.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in the skillet and brown the rolls over medium heat.
- Combine onion soup (undiluted), red wine, and sliced mushrooms; pour over the beef. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour, or until tender.
- Remove the toothpicks before serving.
- Prepared noodles as directed, drain and toss with softened butter.
- Serve beef roulades and sauce over bed of hot buttered noodles.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.