Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Stuffing
Mushroom stuffing with onions and celery cooks inside a pocket made in the roast to add flavor and interest -- add some potatoes around the roast for a complete meal.
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds beef sirloin roast
4 strips of bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes or until tender; let cool.
- Combine bread crumbs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in the vegetable mixture; toss gently.
- Slice roast three-quarters of the way through to form a pocket. Spoon stuffing into the pocket and secure with toothpicks. Place in a roasting pan. Arrange strips of bacon diagonally on top.
- Roast 1 hour, or until cooked to your preference.
Makes 8 servings.