Beef with Caper Sauce
A roasted marinated beef is chilled and sliced to serve with a caper-infused veloute sauce.
1 (4-pound) rump roast
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
For Veloute Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock or broth
1/4 cup mushroom peelings
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped chervil
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
1/2 teaspoon chopped chives
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- For Beef: Place the rump roast in a baking dish. Combine oil, tomato paste, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Pour over the roast, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight. Remove the roast from the marinade and drain.
- Place the roast, fat side up, in the baking dish. Roast at 350°F (175°C) for 60 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 150°F (65°C) for medium-rare. Chill and slice.
- Arrange the slices of cold roast beef in an overlapping pattern on a serving platter. Pour Caper Sauce over the meat.
- For Caper Sauce: Chop the shallots until very fine and place into a saucepan. Add tarragon vinegar and cook rapidly about 3 minutes, stirring constantly; set aside and prepare Veloute Sauce.
- Veloute Sauce: In the top of a double boiler (not aluminum) melt butter. Stir in flour. When blended, add gradually chicken stock and stir over low heat until well combines and thickened. Add mushroom peelings and simmer for 1 hour over boiling water. Stir occassionaly. Strain through a fine sieve. Add nutmeg and season to taste.
- To the shallot and vinegar mixture add 1 cup of Veloute Sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Add salt and pepper.
- Cool sauce to lukewarm and add chopped parsley, chervil capers, chives and tarragon.
Makes 12 servings.